Friday, November 21, 2014

Is It Art?

Rick Owens from T Magazine
Is fashion sometimes art? More often not? Terms like "wearable art" and "art to wear" are flung about frequently. Clothing is like architecture and sculpture: it's three dimensional and can be cheap and mass produced to appeal to a broad taste, or it can be a masterful construction of line, mass, texture, and color. What makes some clothing unique as an art form is that it can transform the wearer or it can be transformed by the wearer. Artful clothing doesn't need to be couture or expensive. How creatively the wearer puts it together can make it a work of art, and the wearer an artist.
Missoni
However, there are some pieces that stand alone. Without any alteration by the wearer, these pieces are works of art because of the fabric patterning, color, structure, or manipulation, or the cut and line of the silhouette. These designs are inspired by a time period, a social movement, visual art, or architecture as in Issey Miyake's Staircase dresses,
Issey Miyake Staircase Pleats 1994/Irving Penn Photograph




A woman can be her own work of art, using fashion to create whatever she wants to be at the moment
 
Bottega Veneta from T Magazine
or finding a comfortable look and sticking with it.

Grace Coddington
 

The Reggie Life
I love riding in the car and I go someplace almost every day. A few days ago I road along to the Lamy train station to drop off Dad. I'm buckled in to keep me safe, and I usually just fall asleep unless we're going to the dog park or doggy day care. Then I go nuts cuz I know I'm goin' to Doggy Disneyland!!! I start barking waaayyyy before we get there, and I'm wagging my tail so hard, dragging my people cuz the party boy is comin'. I'm sure no other dog does that.
Lamy Train Station

Me saying good-by
 
So here are the two geeks I live with, Desi and Lucy. I'm sorta scared of Desi cuz he seems like he's not scared of anything, especially me. I swear he could face-off a Grizzly, but sometimes I bark at him just to prove what a "man" I am. Sometimes he rubs up against me cuz he's claiming me or something, I don't know. Lucy's ok; truth is, I'm in love with the gray fur ball. I know that she loves me too, but she plays hard to get but flirts with me. What's up with women? They're so weird. And, about 10:00 at night she starts yodeling! I'm serious - she goes on and on and in the morning we find little towels and socks and stuff all over the place. Cats.....I just don't get it.



Lucy trying to get things going
 





No comments:

Post a Comment